Physical security and access control play an important role in helping institutions of all shapes and sizes as they work toward achieving a balance between “open and welcoming” and “safe and secure.” The Communal Security Initiative (CSI) recognizes that the purchase, installation, and maintenance of physical security systems involves financial costs, and for this reason, we would like to share three types of grants for which your organization may be eligible:
- CSI Security Grants for eligible partner organizations in the CJP catchment area
- Commonwealth Nonprofit Security Grant Program
- Federal Nonprofit Security Grant Program
Grant applications and support
1. CSI Security Grants
We are pleased to offer eligible partner organizations in the CJP catchment area the opportunity to apply for a $3,000 security grant.
This grant may be used for physical security infrastructure improvements or to contract a professional grant writer to assist with applications for federal and/or commonwealth security grants. Please carefully review the grant offer and submit your application by December 1, 2023.
2. Commonwealth Nonprofit Security Grant Program
Prepare now for the upcoming round of commonwealth grants expected to be announced in Winter 2023.
See last year's grant information:
The Commonwealth Executive Office of Public Safety and Security’s (EOPSS) Office of Grants and Research (OGR) has made available nearly $2,850,000 in funds to places of worship, faith-based community centers, and other similar institutions to enhance facility safety and security.
Applicants may solicit up to $100,000. For additional information, including all applicable paperwork and documentation, please visit the Office of Grants and Research's webpage.
Priority will be given to applicants demonstrating the greatest need/proposing cost-effective solutions to addressing high-priority security gaps or weaknesses and have not received a previous Commonwealth Nonprofit Security Grant Program grant or other related federal non-profit award from OGR.
We are extremely grateful to our partners at the Jewish Community Relations Council of Greater Boston and in the broader community, who have lobbied tirelessly for the creation and expansion of this grant program.
Please note that nonprofit organizations must apply directly to their State Administrative Agency. In Massachusetts, this is the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security.
- DUNS number sign-up
- List of Allowable Expenses for NSGP Program
- Step-by-Step Guide to Apply for a Nonprofit Security Grant Watch webinars on how to apply for CNSG Grants
Hate crime data
3. Federal Nonprofit Security Grant Program
Prepare now for the upcoming round of Federal grants expected to be announced in Winter 2023.
See last year's grant information:
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2023 Nonprofit Security Grant Program (NSGP) has made $305 million in funding support available for target hardening and other physical security enhancements to nonprofit organizations that are at high risk of terrorist attack. The maximum funding available per institution is $150,000 through the NSGP-UA (Urban Area) Grant and $150,000 through the NSGP-S (Statewide) Grant. Please review the FY23 NSGP Notice of Funding Opportunity for more information. Applications are due on Friday, April 14 at 4:00 p.m.
Please note: FEMA has changed their guidelines and nonprofits must have a UEI number (Unique Entity ID, formerly DUNS number) AND be registered at SAM.gov — SAM.gov | DUNS to UEI (SAM) transition.
- Secure Community Network webinar series
- FY23 NSGP Investment Justification
- FY23 NSGP Subapplicant Quick Start Guide
- FY23 NSGP Program Fact Sheet
- FY 2022 JFNA threat chronology
- EOPSS Homeland Security Division Risk Assessment form
- NSGP Investment Justification Template Introduction
- NSGP scoring tool for state review
- Risk compendium (Last updated: 01/05/2022)
- SCN/JFNA NSGP Facility Assessment Tool, 12/2020
- Frequently asked questions (last updated: 05/13/2022)Watch webinars on how to apply for NSGP Grants
Learn more about last year's state and federal nonprofit security grant programs
Learn more about completing a grant application
Watch and learn how to apply for a Commonwealth Nonprofit Security Grant Program grant
- Navigating the Department of Homeland Security Nonprofit Security Grant Program — SCN/Jewish Federations of North America (JFNA)
- Nonprofit Security Grant Program Webinar Series: Grant Application Workshop , January 2021 — SCN/JFNA
- Slides from FEMA’s 2019 Nonprofit Security Grant Program Informational Webinar Series
- Webinar FAQ — SCN/JFNA
Watch and learn how to apply for a Federal Nonprofit Security Grant Program grant
Reach out to us for more information about security services, trainings, grants and funding, AEDs and emergency preparedness kits, or to speak with a member of the CJP Communal Security Initiative Team.